Mar 7, 2013

Aria the Origination #2: That Smiling Customer…

This scene reminds me of season 2, episode 5
When I was growing up I loved looking at maps. I’d look for hidden roads or strange features that you wouldn’t find by traveling the well-worn routes. After circling spots on the map of my town, I’d spend the afternoons and weekends exploring those places. I believed these were my own special discoveries. I still enjoy studying maps, though more for the aesthetics of the map itself, particularly antiques. Of course I’ll never explore those places with the same wide-eyed enthusiasm. That’s a fantasy reserved for 12-year olds. And a leniency; property owners would react much differently if I acted the same way now.

Under the microscope
Adults are expected to behave with restraint. But that’s no reason to ignore the lessons of childhood. As a child you were told to accept the world as it is. When you mature, you gain the tools to change the world to suit your needs. What you do with that responsibility determines how much respect you will be granted by others. And it is built on the imagination fostered during youth. Back then, the world was your playground. But now your playground is not limited to places on a map. You are creating the world you will play in, and get to draw the map yourself.

And then you get to watch your children explore your world, and use their imagination to set the stage for the future. This episode told a similar story from two perspectives. We saw how Akari explored Neo-Venezia and the places she found. But to the residents of the city, Akari herself is much more interesting. So you have this picture of her gondola as seen through a window. It’s as if the city is watching Akari as intently as she is focused on it.

When I planned to watch Aria each week, I overlooked the picture dramas on the Aria the Origination DVDs. Since I’ve now seen the first three episodes, this is a good time to look at the first of these.

Aria the Origination Picture Drama #1: Pajama☆Party


A traditional hot springs and girls’ talk episode (with fan-service). Alice, despite her age, takes sadistic pleasure in pushing Aika’s buttons. Of course, that isn’t at all difficult, particularly with regards to her love life. Aika has no defenses when it comes to Al.

We had a birthday this week, March 5th, for Yoshiko Matsuo, the voice of Grandma. You can hear her as another Grandma in Tamayura, which will be start its second season this July.

Next week I will be watching Aria the Animation #8: That Melancholy President… / That Cool Hero…

No comments:

Post a Comment