Feb 7, 2013

Aria the Origination #3: Those Feelings Within…

Cats that can read. President Aria must be smarter than I give him credit for.
On second thought…

Neo-Venezia, though called “New,” is an old city. But it’s not merely a museum relic kept frozen in time. The city grows and changes, creating new traditions such as Anri’s chocolate stand. (Not unlike the actual Caffè Florian, with its displays of contemporary art.) The undines themselves are a recent addition. Gondoliers have traditionally been men. The gender barrier was finally broken in 2009, but it’ll be quite a while yet before we see water fairies plying the canals on white boats.
Because of the restorations highlighted in this episode, many of the buildings are surrounded by scaffolding or draped in dust-tarps. It brings to mind the wrapping of presents. An image not lost on Anri who is inspired to sell his candies in decorative cloth. There is a peculiar appeal to wrapping paper that makes receiving a gift more exciting than if it was simply handed to you. It’s not only the design of it, for plain paper and even re-purposed newsprint can evoke the thrill of discovery as you peel back the layers of an unknown treasure. No, that’s not quite right. I’ve received gifts where I knew what was being given beforehand, yet having it presented to me wrapped felt more suited to the occasion. Placing something in a wrapped box, or gift bag, or simply tying a bow on is a ritual that signifies the generosity of the giver. This is something that does not belong to me because I paid for or created it; rather because someone else cared enough to give it to me. That sentiment is enclosed within the wrapping and delivered to me with the message, “I am thinking of you.” It is a thought that, as the adage goes, counts.
Aika is not pleased with my embarrassing remarks.
Next week’s episode is my favorite, Aria the Natural #3: The Night Of The Meteor Shower…

No comments:

Post a Comment